Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 152: Part II: Alpha Lipoic Acid

Alpha Lipoic Acid
What is this? Has anyone ever heard of it? It is new to me. So what do I do when I don't know enough about something? GOOGLE the heck out of it! So once again, I've compiled some info but there wasn't much...if you find any yourselves..pleased let me know
Information
Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) has many functions, but it's one of the most effective free radical scavengers, and the only one known to easily get into your brain.
It also has the ability to regenerate other antioxidants such as vitamins C, E, and glutathione. So, when your body has used up these antioxidants, if there's ALA around, it helps regenerate them.
You may not know this, but glutathione is another very important antioxidant. You can get it from supplements, but the only form that works effectively is the reduced form, which is difficult to absorb when taken orally. It is much more cost effective to supplement with precursors, or items like alpha lipoic acid that regenerates glutathione.
Alpha lipoic acid also recycles coenzyme Q10 and NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide).
But, if that wasn't enough, this powerful antioxidant is also:
  • A great modifier of gene expression to reduce inflammation
  • A very potent heavy metal chelator
  • An enhancer of insulin sensitivity
The benefits of ALA can appear near miraculous. For example, according to Dr. Berkson, Russia has successfully used ALA intravenously to reverse ischemia reperfusion injuries by injecting it right after a heart attack or a stroke.
And people with diabetes or metabolic syndrome tend to do much better when taking lipoic acid, as it enhances insulin sensitivity.
There's even been quite a bit of research showing it can restore T cell function. T cells are a type of white blood cells that are of key importance to your immune system, and are at the core of adaptive immunity, the system that tailors your body's immune response to specific pathogens.
What Health Conditions Can be Treated With Alpha Lipoic Acid?
Clinically, alpha lipoic acid seems to be a useful supplement in treating hepatitis C. It can also be used for painful nerve conditions in diabetes, and may help slow down the aging process itself through its reduction in free radicals.
Dr. Berkson uses ALA along with low dose naltrexone (LDN) for the reversal of a number of more serious health conditions such as:
  • Lupus
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Dermatomyositis (an inflammatory muscle disease)
  • Autoimmune diseases
Most of his patients normalize in about one month on this combination of ALA and LDN.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/antioxidants-benefits_b_509655.html

One of the newest treatments in Crohns disease research is Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) and alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) used as an alternative Crohns disease treatment. This combination of a drug and a nutritional supplement is looking like a possible future Crohns treatment, hopefully. It seems to work for cancer and autoimmune diseases like Crohns, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus and more.


Testimony

I have actually made an appt with Dr. Berkson in May 2010. I will be going out to his clinic in New Mexico for 2 weeks of IV ALA treatment. I will let you all know what he recommends as far as dosing and supplements.
He is going to treat my Crohn's. He uses IV ALA in conjunction with LDN to treat Crohn's as well as various supplements. I am not sure of the details, they of course will not tell you that over the phone. But I am excited. It is a huge out of pocket expense, but as I plan on having children in the next few years, I want to get as healthy as possible. And I am willing to pay or try almost anything so that I can do that.

As I said, I will definitely share my experiences in detail with the group. I am on a cancellation list so if appts earlier than May open up, I will be flying out sooner than May (I hope)!
Later Post by same patient:
I am scheduled to be treated by Dr. Berkson in mid-May for my Crohn's. I will receive 2-daily ALA IVs and 1 daily B-12 injection, in additional to myriad tests and consults with Dr. Berkson. I can't wait! I am already on LDN for my Crohn's, which the Dr. also uses to treat autoimmune conditions, but am still having intermittent flares and other symptoms. I am hoping the treatment by Dr. Berkson will give me the final push I need into (hopefully) remission or something like that. I plan on having children in the next 2 years, so I would like to get as healthy as possible.