Thursday, February 9, 2012

Gotta Get Worse Before You Get Better?

Hey, here's the update:

Northwestern called last week and said to make a clear diagnosis, Dr Burt's pathologists needed new biopsies. Apparently, they had made their previous decision on biopsies from 2007. At that time, my disease was not as advanced as it is now. Also the biopsies from 2007 just were not clear enough to make a definite diagnosis. Dr. Holt said my blood work confirms Crohn's disease, but the biopsies aren't 100% Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis.

So in other words, we had to perform another colonoscopy this week in order to collect new biopsies. Here's what happened: The inflammation was so bad they had complications getting the scope through causing additional bleeding (i've had intestinal bleeding already for almost 2 years). Also, because it is so diseased, getting biopsies also caused alot more bleeding. Dr. Holt said it hasn't spread which is good, but the diseased part of my colon (the lower part) has gotten alot worse. I'm in pretty bad shape. I'm still hurting, five days later, from the colonoscopy..this has never happened before. Dr. Holt said that it still looks most likely like Crohn's in there but there's still an uncertainty about it because i'm so borderline..hopefully Northwestern will be able to figure it out and help me.

They put me back on Prednisone..UGH! I'm finally losing the weight I gained on all these steroids and from the TNP and they put me right back on the steroids! But I know I need them, even if they offer me the slightest help. They also took me off of the antibiotics I was taking for the C Diff...which is frustrating because I'm not really sure how they're planning on getting rid of it and well for obvious reasons...like the intolerable symptoms, complete colon destruction or death lol, I would like to be fighting this absolutely awful infection.

Before going back for the procedure, i had a lot of time to sit and pray. I didn't know how to pray. No one wants bad health. It hurts to hear I'm getting worse, of course. However, unless i'm really bad, no one will offer me any help to get better and in a way, I hoped my tests results would finally confirm how bad I feel. So before going in, I prayed not for good news, not for bad news, but for answers that would allow me to get the help I need to get better. And I feel like that's exactly what He gave me that day.

Im going to california soon. I'm sure with my health, I won't be able to stay for long, not being away from the family that's taking care of me and keeping me pushing forward. But maybe some sightseeing will boost my spirits...we'll see...i'm hoping you will all pray and ask God to guide me through this very unclear time in my life.